Many say that nothing is yummier for Punjabi food lovers than Sarson ka Saag, Makki ki Rotti, and Fresh Butter.
Ingredients for the dish
- Take mustard leaf roughly chopped after you wash each leaf thoroughly. The quantity is as per your requirement if you are making a single serving or for the whole family.
- A small amount of Spinach, which will be 1/4th time of the Mustard Green
- A finch of Mathu
- Ginger sliced in the form of long strands.
- Green chilies as per your taste.
- Salt as per your taste.
- Rice powder 4 tablespoons.
- Butter or desi ghee as per your choice.
- Maize flour (Makki Atta ) to create maize bread and to use roasted flour or rice powder to add in preparation of saag.
- According to your taste use Jaggery
Take a big pot, and put all the ingredients except, thinly sliced ginger, maize flour, gur and fresh white butter into it.
Add water to fill at least half of the big pan you have chosen to cook this dish. Bring the water to a boil along with Mustard Greens and all the ingredients you put inside. Once water is boiled, reduce the flame and let the greens cook for one hour, checking them again and again until they are tender.
Once the greens are tender, remove the pan from the heat and with the help wooden churner, churn the mustard greens well until they have a creamy consistency.
Now again heat the pan and put the churned mustard greens into it. Add roasted maize flour into it to make the saag have a silky texture. Stir it constantly at regular intervals until it is done nicely. The whole procedure of this step can take from 40 minutes to an hour.
Now adjust the seasoning as per your taste before removing the mustard greens from the heat.
Take out the Saag in a large bowl and add sliced ginger along with large quantities of fresh butter. You can also use finely chopped smoked garlic or air-fried garlic for the dressing too.
Enjoy Sarson ka Saag with the magic of Mukki ki Roti and fresh Yoghurt Lassi and Jaggery.